4.06.2008

College basketball in Zambia

With only one game left to play before the college basketball season is over, I would like to take this opportunity to provide my perspective having experienced it all in Africa. I have been able to catch many more of the games than I originally anticipated, although it has normally come with the price of sacrificing sleep. For me, there have been three main highlights.


The lasting impression almost every basketball fan will have of this NCAA tournament is the inspiring run of Davidson-led by Stephen Curry. I have absolutely no intention of detracting any of the praise or adoration directed at Mr. Curry. His accomplishments speak for themself. However, the greatest part of the tournament for me was another Davidson player, Bryant Barr. In the history of the world, there will never be a greater nickname thrust upon a man than the nickname of ‘The White Lobster’ given to Barr. The fact that he was unstoppable in the 2nd half of the kU game made that the greatest college basketball experience I’ve had in two years. If I remember correctly, ‘TWL’ is only a sophomore; to say I am giddy at the prospect of two more years of The White Lobster is an understatement. I love the idea that there are kids on the Davidson campus saying things like, “We’re obviously going to be good with Curry returning, but can you imagine how unstoppable we will be if The White Lobster plays as consistently good as he did in the Kansas game” or “ I know the last possession had to go through Curry, but is there anyway the White Lobster misses a wide open three to win that game?”

As much as I miss the live coverage and being able to watch 4 games at the same time, there is something about being able to watch tons of college basketball games and never, ever have to hear Billy Packer's voice.

One of the reaffirming consequences of living abroad is realizing that a hatred for Kansas is not restricted to those residing in the United States. I’ve personally witnessed several people transform from being indifferent to the school to using the phrase ‘F Kansas’ in everyday conversations. In an earlier blog, I outlined 6 different criteria I used to judge someone’s capatibility for being a friend. I think the ‘unfiltered hatred of all things Kansas’ may be a more telling litmus test than everything else combined.


F Kansas.

No comments: