5.17.2009

Germany / Namibia Parallels

I would just like to state for the record that I am keenly aware that I spent the last six months in a blog coma. I am keenly aware that I have missed golden opportunities to write about several insanely amount trips, wax poetic about my man-crush on Chad Pennington (side note: If people aren’t seriously convinced about my Pennington/B-Roth Corollary, I don’t know what to say.) , or cover all of the day-to-day occurrences in Lusaka. I am keenly aware that my blog readership has been dwindled down to like three people and some creepy dood who does searches like ‘dood + tacoooo + Zambia + blog’ on Google. I am keenly aware that this recent overuse of the word ‘keenly’ is incredibly annoying and probably just making things worse. I’m sorry. That’s just how I roll.

I knoe I’ll never be able to make up for those lost six months, but I want to at least try by providing a small, previously unknown tidbit about one of the places I visited, Namibia. So, a brief background about the trip:

Around Christmas time, I realized that absolutely all of my friends and colleagues were going to be out of country around Christmas time. I had originally planned on spending the holidays in Lusaka (a surprisingly serene, albeit slightly depressing, experience my first year), but allowed myself to be talked into taking a 10-day tour on Namibia. This involved taking a 24-hour couch bus from Zambia to Namibia, an experience I really wouldn’t suggest anyone do on a frequent basis. Beyond this sadistic exercise of depriving myself of sleep and making myself miserable at the very beginning and very end of my vacation, the trip was really awesome.

Since I imagine most of you will probably never experience Namibia firsthand, I want to take this opportunity to give a brief synopsis of the country. You knoe, just in case you ever find yourself in some random situation where some random dood starts getting all irate and will not calm down until you demonstrate an advanced knowledge of Sub-Saharan African countries. There are three things you need to knoe about Namibia:
(1) it is located on the Tropic of Capricorn (as evidenced by the picture of me and Mackenzie ‘thugging it out, Christmas-style’ on a road marker),
(2) there is a boatload of sand (as evidenced by the picture of the sand dunes),
(3) and it has a very strong German influence (as evidenced by this picture taken of a bunch of German people at the greatest New Years Party ever).

Theoretically, you could have learned all of this from Wikipedia. However, what you will never see referenced is how similarly their modern culture parallels Germany’s culture. Now, if you are like me, you have a limited knowledge of Germany. In fact, going into this trip, the only thing I knew was that ‘Germans love David Hasselhoff’ (side note: Thank you, Norm Macdonald, for your years of dedication towards making all Americans better informed.) I had expected that, since Namibia was so strongly influenced by Germany, they too would love David Hasselhoff. I was actually wrong. I was troubled by this until I discovered that the Namibians still have an infatuation with a German-American, however their choice is a lower-profile person who would accurately reflect the broader Germany-Namibia relation.

So, it is with great pride that I inform you that…

Namibians love Matt Hasselbeck.








2 comments:

Patrice said...

SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!111 That's the greatest thing ever!!! I also love Matt Hasselbeck!

This made my day.

Anonymous said...

There is obviously a lot to know about this. I think you made some good points in Features also. Keep working ,great job!