3.28.2008

Reason #39 to Love Zambia: Negotiating Taxis

So, when we arrived back in Lusaka last Sunday, we had zero transportation waiting for us. This wasn't exactly a horrible thing, because the moment we stepped off the plane we were greeted by seven different doods just standing around. I asked if anyone was a taxi driver and they all said yes. Then, the fun begins.

I'll leave out the entire transcript, but the negotiation went from him asking for 150,000 ($45 US?) kwacha to me finally paying 100,000 kwacha and some crappy coconut cookies which were given to us on our flight.

I absolutely love the fact that cookies were used in a negotiation of a price. This is a positive step in my lifelong goal ofmaking society more barter-friendly.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

I should try that method out, i never eat the airplane snacks!

Patrice said...

Right now, I'm standing up in my apartment, clapping slowly. Congratulations on reaching new heights in bartering. Truly remarkable.