11.22.2007

New Thanksgiving Traditions

25 minutes, 4 seconds.

In case you were wondering, that is currently the quickest I can possibly get to the United States Embassy by foot.

In the months preceding my arrival in Zambia, I was constantly creating hype about completing a time trialed run from my place of residence to the sanctuary that is the Embassy. The logic behind the time trial was flawless; I figured there would be multiple situations during my stay in Zambia when random doods with guns would be approaching me and I would need to evaluate my options immediately. (1) Would I be physically fit enough to run straight to the embassy at a 7.5 minute mile pace and make it within 30 minutes? Would I be forced to pay the 20,000 kwacha cab ride? (Note: I realize that is only $5 US. It’s just that I’d rather take my chances with an angry mob of doods with guns than overpay for a cab ride.)

Lamely, I kept on making excuses for not doing the time trial, like ‘I don’t knoe where the embassy is’. Finally, I decided that the loser talk needed to end.

You’ll notice that this blog is being posted on Thanksgiving. This is obviously not coincidental. Thanksgiving is a day of giving thanks and a day of traditions. It’s also a day of eating turkey; however, I remind you that, despite being in a country with a land size slightly larger than Texas, there is not a single turkey to be found. None. So, work with me.

It was only fitting then that I set up a tradition celebrating one of the things I am most thankful for: the first annual ‘Mark runs to the U.S. Embassy as quick as humanly possible’.

I honestly can’t wait until next year when I have a chance to improve on this year’s pathetic showing, which was highlighted by me walking after just 10 minutes (I’ll use elevation as my excuse) and 6 different cab drivers honking to see if I wanted a ride.


Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

No comments: