3.18.2008

Greatest day of the year.

(A quick note. I was dead serious about the women’s NIT bracket competition. Please download a bracket at www.womensnit.com and send it to my e-mail address by tomorrow before all of the games start. Remember, it’s free and absolutely no one who enters has any idea what they are doing. Please join. It’d make me happy. Also, tell your friends.)


I just spent the last ten minutes trying to come up with completely impossible events that could potentially equal the happiness derived from the play-in game. I could only come up with three things:

(1) Pope getting hit by a bus,
(2) a Panda Express opening in Zambia
(3) twenty four hours with a herpes-free Jessica Alba.


I am not exaggerating when I say that the play-in game is my absolute favorite day of the year. I love the obscurity of college basketball. I love that there are so many teams in DI (300+) that it’s virtually impossible to know every school, let alone know where they are from. I love that all across the country there are teams with limited financial resources and barely recruited athletes. I love that, for one night, two completely awful teams from completely random parts of the country are selected to meet in Dayton to play a nationally televised game to a captive audience.

All across the country, people make the second most asinine sports argument that the play-in game needs to go away. They argue that it’s unfair to these players and taints a perfect system. When the game originated in 2001, I actually made the same argument. I couldn’t have been more wrong.

Earlier this afternoon, I took a look at Coppin State’s schedule. They lost to Xavier by 49, Kansas State by 23, and Mizzou by 34. Do you really think those guys are pissed that their NCAA tournament experience is restricted to a public humiliation by North Carolina? If they play UNC, they never get mentioned on PTI and their only Sportscenter highlight involves Ty Watson making fools out of them. Instead, they get a nationally televised game where each player has a legitimate shot of dropping 25 and potentially getting 2 minutes of face time on Cold Pizza the next morning.


So, you can pretty much guarantee that nothing will keep me from watching the play-in game tonight. The fact that it won’t start until 1:30 a.m. makes it even better.

The line on the game is Mount St Marys -7. I normally dominate with my predictions for this game, but that’s a difficult line to choose. Coppin State is absolutely horrible, but I don’t think MSM can beat anyone by 8 points. I just can’t convince myself to pick a MEAC school in a play-in game, so I’ll take Mount St Marys. The fact that the play-in game is prolly going to be decided by a backdoor cover makes me even happier. Great moments in gambling history + play-in game = phenomenal.



Things that I never experienced in the States #455:
Fresh milk (just bought from the store) which can be filtered with a fork. Fantastic.

No comments: