11.27.2008

Second Annual Thanksgiving Embassy Run

Last year, I created and executed the absolute greatest Thanksgiving tradition: a time-trial run to the American Embassy from my home. As documented in this blog entry New Thanksgiving Traditions, the premise behind the run was simple: Thanksgiving was a day of giving thanks and there were few things I was more thankful for then being within running distance of American sanctuary while living in a foreign country.

I was not, however, thankful for my pitiful results. I clocked a pitiful 25+ minute time and essentially guaranteed that I would be in a boatload of trouble if some random doods started chasing me and we're cool with taking 10 minute walking breaks.

A lot, however, changed in the last year. As evidenced by the first paragraph, I'm using colons alot more in my writing. I'm not entirely sure how that would influence my endurance or my ability to run faster, but it is different and thus noteworthy. I've also exercised more in the last 12 months than I did in the previous 12 months. Sure, 'more' deserves an asterisk consider my physical exertion has been limited to: going running twice, played ultimate frisbee three times, and doing one forty-five minute hike. I've also returned to drinking four sodas a day (interestingly, these use real sugar instead of corn syrup) and I'm starting to disagree with everyone who says soda is bad for you.

The results of today's run suggest all of these life changes have had an impact. I completed the run in a quasi-respectable 19 minutes, 43 seconds. A 5+ minute improvement. I'm almost 100% positive no one in the world has ever dropped 6 minutes off their 'How long does it take me to get to an embassy' run in just one year.


Unfortunately, the other exciting part of the tradition, 'How many taxis will honk at me?', resulted in disappointment. Only two drivers completely disregarded the fact that I was wearing exercise gear and was running and tried to get my attention to see if I needed a ride. This is a marked decrease from last year and I hope the trend was an anomaly. Taxi drivers should always feel free to honk at me.

I'm also disappointed that the tradition isn't catching on. When proposing the idea to fellow ex-patriates, I was greeted with feigned interest and condescending remarks but no commitments to join me. I can't be the only person who thinks this is a good idea, can I?


Happy Thanksgiving! Enjoy your effing turkey while I debate between Hawaiian Pizza and Indian Food takeout as my holiday meal choices.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I refuse to even read this entry because it doesn't mention Chad Pennington.